The impossibility of "purity" of the genre of the novel have explained in the article. This is due to synthetic nature of the novel and to special role of the author. Author emphasized some forms of special role of the author as literary critic:
- author's refusal of the genre as a whole (as a form of "passive" criticism);
- appeal to a "shift in the genre", when the author does not believe that the genre has exhausted possibilities for revealing his intention, but is critical of the existing variations of a genre;
- use of mixing of genres, when the author suggests that his intentions may be transmitted to the reader only with combination of different genres ;
- creating a new genre, when the author believes that the existing genres are not able to reveal its author's intentions;
- reflection, when knowledge of genre and of literature is transferred by the text of the artwork.
Keywords: novel: "purity" of the genre, mix of genres, the author's criticism, author as literary critic.